I am fortunate that at the end of our busy work weeks, Tyler and I take the time to do something we both enjoy. Being outdoors, hiking around, and enjoying each other's company has helped ease me in to a new year. Happy 2013.
Monday, January 7, 2013
Winter Wonderland
At 29,000 acres, 50 miles worth of trail, and 15 minutes from our house, the Oregon Badlands Wilderness has been a great place for us to venture. Our favorite two trails are the Flatiron Rock Trail and the Larry Chitwood Trail, both of which loop around. The Flatiron Rock Trail totals 3 miles where as the Larry Chitwood Trail is 7 miles or so. The whole Nall family has really enjoyed having access to this area and we have spent at least one day each week out there since Christmas.
Other areas we have explored since Christmas include the Wanago Sno-Park and the Edison Sno-Park. I received a fancy pair of snowshoes from Tyler during the holiday season and both Sno-Parks have been great for my beginning experience. The Wanago Sno-Park was well used and a bit overwhelming for us. Because it was so over populated we ended up cutting across the designated trails and up on our own route to the top of the butte.
The Edison Sno-Park, on the other hand, had a few trails that are designed for snow-shoers only. It also didn't seem as popular as the Wanago Sno-Park. We ended up doing a 2.5 mile loop with our good friends, Matt and Andrea. I could have spent the whole day out there. The Juniper and Ponderosa Pine Trees canopied over us while the basalt and other snow-covered rocks twisted and turned along side us. The beauty that surrounded us was a reminder to how blessed I am to live in such a great place.
I am fortunate that at the end of our busy work weeks, Tyler and I take the time to do something we both enjoy. Being outdoors, hiking around, and enjoying each other's company has helped ease me in to a new year. Happy 2013.
I am fortunate that at the end of our busy work weeks, Tyler and I take the time to do something we both enjoy. Being outdoors, hiking around, and enjoying each other's company has helped ease me in to a new year. Happy 2013.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment