What seems to add and deflate my stress all at the same time are some of my two very favorite small people.
On the birthday of three year olds, you can say good-bye to that loving toddler and hello to the new becoming of a kid. Their adorable baby feet become scraped and calloused. The smell of baby shampoo quickly fades into crusted sweat mixed with dirt and then smeared in SPF. All too quickly three years olds have almost mastered language and start asking questions.
"Cupcakes are made from sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, baking soda etc...You mix it all up and then bake it in the oven." "In order to make Macaroni and Cheese you have to boil the noodles in water, drain the water, add butter, milk, and the cheese." "That pepper came from someone's garden. I washed it, dried it and cut it up for you to eat." "Milk is produced from cows. You milk the cow by pulling down on her udders. The milk comes out, it's pasteurized and then put in a jug that you buy from the store."
With that said, today we went to Portland's Children's Museum. (This has become one of Ian's all time favorite hang outs! At least twice a week he asks me if we can go. Of course, when we have the "car-car" the answer is always yes.) In front of the Children's Museum is a "cow" with udders. To my surprise, Mira-who is always quietly listening to every conversation-turns to Ian and says, "A COW! Ian! Milk comes from a cow!" Mira and Ian then carry on a conversation about milking a cow. There was quite a bit of confusion as Mira mistakenly wanted to milk the tail instead of an udder along along with other cow inquires. I remain in constant fear of what I intend to teach these children and what I am actually teaching them.
The responsibility of co-raising children can be overwhelming. I try not to think too much about it and instead embrace every moment. The only thing I can be certain about is that I love Mira and Ian wholeheartedly. The very least I can do for them is hug them, kiss them, keep them safe, and make sure they know how special they are. My very favorite thing to do for them is expose them to a world where they can learn.







I hope someday when I have kids that I can find a nanny as wonderful and amazing as you!
ReplyDelete