Tuesday, October 2, 2012

One Year Ago...



Edie Jane N; Big smiles, full of joy, life.  

Edie Jane, 

One year a go your dad called Grandma to let us know we better get to Eugene. Grandma had stayed the night with Auntie and Uncle in Portland so that we could be there early in the morning to welcome your arrival. You should have seen her! She was so frantic and just couldn't wait to hold her first grandbaby! You were also done with waiting and made the decision to be apart of our family a day earlier than we expected. Thank you for thinking of us. 

By the time we arrived to the hospital, your mommy was holding you and boasting with pride. She has a good eye, and had no trouble seeing your beauty and brilliance at first glance. Of course, it didn't take all but a second for the rest of us to see that same thing. We knew how amazing you were and spent many hours admiring your perfection. In fact, I can remember a brief moment when Grandma and I weren't at the hospital and I was talking to your mama on the phone. I had asked her, "how is little Edie Jane?" Without missing a beat she told me, "perfect." 

I couldn't agree more, and when I held you in my arms for the first time, I can recall thinking about all the firsts you would be experiencing. Your first smile. first laugh. first joke. first tooth. first food. first word. I couldn't help but think about how much life happens in one full year, and how you would have no trouble accomplishing any first. I had no doubts you would continue to show us just how amazing you are. 

With all the firsts I had in mind, and with all your brilliance, I had a small fear that there wasn't going to be enough firsts for you. But I soon realized, it didn't matter. It is not about how quickly you achieve goals, it's about experiencing them. There is one particular "first" I can't wait to be apart of. A chance where we will all get to experience a milestone with you. We will pause, and take the time to celebrate. We will celebrate your firsts, we will celebrate you. 

I'm sure you are curious to know what first that is. You may be thinking, "It's my first step, isn't it?" and your are right. We are all pausing, and holding our breath for you to take that step, that we know you are more than capable of doing. But no. Today, we are experiencing the celebration of your very first birthday. 

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY EDIE JANE! 

We welcomed you into our family and promised to love you, protect you, and teach you. In return, you promised us you would bring us love, share good jokes, and teach us how to have an adventurous spirit. You have impressed us all and we couldn't be happier to celebrate you on Oct. 2, 2012. 

We Love You,
Auntie Emmy  

PS. and if you decide to take your first steps today too! Well then, we will all pause and celebrate that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment