I sometimes wish I was a person who kept to myself. Someone who was conscientious, sensible, discerning, quiet, observant. Someone who is content to wait until you ask, instead of compelled to explain themselves to strangers. I am rarely, any of those things. I am, however, proud to be someone who continually strives to become those things. As well as, someone who shares a life with a person who is all those things.
When I first met Tyler, he was no gentleman. He was instead, a Wildland Firefighter. In all fairness, I was no lady. I was also a Wildland Firefighter. Which meant we both burped and farted with no shame. I couldn't tell you when I first noticed Tyler Nall nor could I tell you what he noticed about me. But I do know he was unlike anyone I had ever met. I thought he was fun, confident, and like most twenty-two year olds, drank a lot of beer. You can imagine how an eighteen year old girl would only be attracted to this.
Once we started dating, I became comfortable. There was (and still is) a simplicity about Tyler that makes him friendly and lovable. I don't know exactly when our friendship first began, but I think it's safe to say that Tyler and I formed a type of friendship that only we can understand. It was, if you will, a friendship on fire! But no matter how hot our fire burned, our relationship was somewhat short-lived. I went to college and Tyler began his first "real" job.
We obviously stayed in touch. Many brief phone calls with an occasional lunch date. Tyler was something special to me, but I hadn't realized what. He was more than a friend, more than someone I wanted to date, but at the time I couldn't figure it out. I know now, it was because it had all started with a fire and that fire never completely burnt out.
Here we are now. Spending our fourth year together as an engaged couple. I simply love him. I never knew I could be so passionate about one person. He is a genuine, sincere person. A person with immense good will and enormous generosity. A person whose commitment and hard-work make him incomparable to anyone else I know. Someone I admire and endeavor to impress. Every good quality I'm lacking Tyler owns. I couldn't have found someone more "opposite" than myself, but we are two of a kind.
I don't feel like this does justice to how amazing he is.
No comments:
Post a Comment