Saturday, February 11, 2012

Teeny Tiny


Welcome to Teeny Tiny's House.

 These are the letters on Teeny Tiny's door that say, "Teeny Tiny's House." 


We know no matter how many times you knock, Teeny Tiny doesn't unlock the door.
He is never home or at least 
has never invited us in. 
We think Teeny Tiny might be at work or busy using the potty.




  
We are desperate to meet Teeny Tiny. We knock on his door daily. 
We spend even more time waiting outside of Teeny Tiny's door. 


We want to know:
Have you seen Teeny Tiny?








For those who care:
I wish I could claim the existence of Teeny Tiny. However, he was invented by Mira and Ian's neighbor. (The Dad of another little girl who is also obsessed with this door.) We have yet to go on an outing where we don't knock on Teeny Tiny's door. Mira and Ian are always wondering about Teeny Tiny and without a doubt, are fascinated by this door. 

For information gatherers: 

1.) There is some great literature on children and their love for confined areas as well as why they love small things. Some believe that "tight corners" and "special spaces" begin with the security of being held close to someone as an infant. The love for these spaces continues throughout toddlerhood. It is important to remember as an adult that the comfort of being "contained" for children allows them to feel independent and process imaginative play. Although there are days where I avoid the route past Teeny Tiny's door I also support Mira and Ian's curiosity for it. I recognize their fascination with the door and more importantly am willing to spare the fifteen to twenty minutes (at least every other day) it takes to come to terms that we won't be invited inside.


2.) Environmental print is letters and words that can be seen in everyday life. The best example I can think of  are the symbols and letters that are associated to Wal-Mart and McDonald's. If you have spent any time around young children, you can probably recall when they began recognizing these symbols. While it can be frustrating that your two or three year old see the "m" and immediately think they HAVE TO HAVE McDonald's remember to also congratulate them for reading! 


Environmental print is everywhere, and because it is, it is a great way to teach toddlers about reading and writing. I spend a lot of time talking and showing Mira and Ian environmental print. Their natural interest and curiosity about symbols, letters, and words have made it easy to help both kids begin learning literature. I LOVE the picture where Mira and Ian are "reading" the words on "Teeny Tiny's" door despite they are sure it says: "Teeny Tiny's House" and I encourage all use of environmental print.  






No comments:

Post a Comment